Metal Finisher – 3rd Shift
Reports To: Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Performs a variety of functions to inspect, modify, and finish surfaces and corners of metal parts and components to engineering specifications. In addition, may sharpen tools and maintains the work area by performing the following duties.
- Examines and feels surface of metal to detect defects such as dents, scratches, or breaks in metal.
- Smoothes surface of an item to specified finish.
- Polishes metal surface.
- Presses button to start abrasive wheel.
- Sharpening tools by positioning cutting edge of tool into machine guide and abrasive wheel to sharpen and smooth tool edge, immersing tool in oil to cool edge as appropriate.
- Coordinate and plan daily/weekly work schedule with a supervisor, immediately addressing any issues or concerns.
- Accurately record production data such as quality, labor reporting, manufacturing time, scrap, and downtime information
- Utilizing company supplied tools to perform the job (squares, calipers, protractor)
- Competent in measuring parts, reading blueprints, and verifying dimensions with precise measuring tools in English and Metric.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment (No food, trash, scrap parts, etc.), wiping down, sweeping the floor, and organizing work center at end of shift.
- Follows company policies, procedures, and safety standards at all times. (Gloves, glasses, sleeves, etc.)
- Must have dependable, reliable, on-time attendance.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency to meet scheduled daily goals.
- Identify/Improve areas in reducing scrap/waste, improving costs and lead times.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills required normally acquired through high school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of the manufacturing processes, procedures, machinery and blueprint reading normally acquired through minimum 2 years of metals experience, or one year certificate from college or technical school, or equivalent combination of education and experience, with acute attention to detail.
- Manual dexterity required for operating machinery and computers.
- Observance and adherence to company policies
- Ability to safely operate a hand jack.
- Ability to obtain certification and safely operate a forklift (optional).
- A desire to learn new skills and improve technical knowledge.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with co-workers, supervisors, and lead personnel to complete production requirements to service the customer.
- Strong teamwork orientation; willing to train or assist other, less experienced operators.
- Punctual and dependable, placing a high priority on producing throughout scheduled hours and excellent attendance
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to feel or handle; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to twist, stoop, walk, and carry within the following parameters. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision ability required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Working conditions are normal for a manufacturing environment. Work involves lifting of materials and product up to 50 pounds.
- Machinery operation requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, protective shoes/boots. Loose fitting clothes and jewelry are not permitted.
- Employees must demonstrate the physical ability to work in a standing position, between 8-12 hours per day.